© Copyright Herne Bay United 2011

Follow us on Facebook

European Cup: HBU struggled on the first leg of the trip but remain focused and Confident for the return leg next month

Posted by  on November 21, 2011

CERS CUP 1st Leg 19/11/2011


HBU Surprise defeat in Austria.


Herne Bay United travelled for the first leg of the European Cup match against Dornbirn of Austria. United would have been confident of a strong performance here and have hoped to come away with the points to secure the win in the home leg in December. However it was not to be. United were immediately somewhat unsettled by the venue and not only by it being so much smaller but the actual surface was in need of some maintenance. United went about the job hoping they could overcome these small factors and that their experience and game plan would be enough.

United had a lot of the possession and chances and were failing to beat Dornbirn’s new signing Portuguese goal keeper Mendez. The frustration settled in and United were disjointed in defense and attack, mistakes being made that eventually cost them the first goal,10 mins into the game, and would be the setting for the rest of the match. United made unnecessary challenges which built up early team fouls. Even with the mistakes United had the majority of chances and finally Brendan Barker scored to equalize. United again kept on but a tackle in the box that could have gone either way,  Dorbirn were awarded a penalty and made no mistake in scoring.

United were now on the back foot chasing the game. United made a few changes and soon equalised Barker getting his second with a team-play goal of Barker finishing from a Joe Singleton pass. United kept the pressure on but the usual level of play wasn’t evident and a strong challenge ended with United’s Joe Singleton getting the first blue card of the game and awarded Dornbirn with the Direct free hit and United went down 3-2. United managed to hold this score line till half time when they reached 10 team fouls and Jay Williamson saved from the spot.


Second half again was as before United started better but couldn’t break the keeper and again United suffered from a shot on the wing giving them a 4-2 cushion. Hosking finally got on the score sheet with great individual effort from behind the goal but this rather than bolster United caused a breakdown and United conceded twice in quick succession and a need to chase the game at 6-3 down. It wasn’t to be and  United then had a complete melt down and with decisions and frustrations playing a part – United would receive 3 more blue cards one to Hosking, Karl Smith and Manager Philip McVey.

Final Score 8 – 3 to Dornbirn and in a match where United suffered a Penalty and 4 directs, 4 goals from Dornbirn were scored in Open play and United will need to play very different to make up the gap in the home leg.


United’s Manager was not available to comment after the game but it must be said this was a performance HBU will want to forget, with it being openly obvious many players in the United squad have not settled well this season and this must be assessed and adjustments made, for it is a big gap and one in many circumstances could be seen as a bit too far but this is one that is not impossible to achieve.


The Home Leg is on the 17th December at the Bay Sports Arena at Herne Bay High School 7:45pm, United will have matches in the Premier League and Kent League in the run up to this in a hope to qualify for the next round.


Team List:

HBU David Garlick, Jay Williamson (gks) Joe Singleton, Karl Smith, Danny Butcher, Joel De Figueiredo, Simon Hosking(cap)(1), Neil Austin, Brendan Barker(2), Richard Walker.